It’s very late, and I can’t sleep yet again. I hope this trend ends fairly soon. This post is merely to pass time until I feel tired. It is quite lengthy, so I guess I didn’t tire easily.
A wise man once said that wise men quote wise men.
We all know that the word love is cheapened in today’s world. So often we hear the verb and quite often it is used out of context, and quite often 'like' would gladly come off the vocabulary bench and hop onto the court so that it could use its skills. It's kind of like Roberto Luongo. If you over use him, he's going to disappoint you, but you have to realize it's not his fault. Maybe sometimes he's being played when he could take a seat on the pine and rest up. Actually, scratch that. We need Luongo in every night, but you get the point.
I would like to think that most of us know that our word 'love' comes from some sort of Greek background, but more importantly I would like to think that most of us know that there is more than one word for 'love' in Greek. If you didn't know that, well, sorry for the spoiler.
Back to the thought of a rollercoaster and its connection with love. We see the peaks and valleys of a rollercoaster, and hey, why don't we connect that with the highs and lows that we experience in our lives. As a side note, I have yet to meet one person who has not had a low or a high. At some point everybody gets sick, depressed, let down, disappointed, or exhausted. As well, everybody has experienced the highs, the joy of a beautiful day with Sunday morning pancakes, the satisfying completion of a job well done, or the realization or understanding that there are people out there that love (not like) you and love to be around you. We all experience these things because we are human beings with physical bodies tainted by sin that get beaten and bruised as well as fed and pampered. Highs and lows people, highs and lows.
When we think of the rollercoaster, we can dissect a few things that it has. It has tracks, wheels attached to the cars, and that handy dandy guardrail that doesn't let you go off flying to an exhilarating yet painful death. Why don't we call the cars our bodies, and the passenger our soul and spirit. If you don't believe in the soul and spirit, well, why don't you try and imagine if you will for a second. Let's call the track our life. Yarr, that's right, our life. So, we have our bodies that go along this track that we call life (shoot, I feel a corny country song coming on here) and this life takes us up as well as down, as is natural. Of course, every rollercoaster is different. Some of us may experience higher highs and lower lows, but just as the mysterious sine curve has ups and downs, so is our life. Naturally, the car travels on the track, and let’s say if it goes off the track, you're probably going to die. Makes sense. Likewise, if our passengers, soul and spirit, get out of the car the car has lost its purpose and one could argue that without passengers, the car is pointless. Now if the track was completely flat, there would be no fear of the passengers falling out, but we all know that rollercoasters are not so. So what keeps us in the car? Well, that handy dandy guard bar of course. Now, let us call this guard bar love. And, as you might have guessed, this love is not the love that can be substituted for like, such as in the phrase, "I really love those three-bean burritos." This is the love that is experienced through soul and spirit, that is to say, the passengers. So we have this love that the passengers can grasp on to if need be, or let go of and distance ourselves from by scurrying their bottoms to the back of their seats. Quite often we don't see this love when we're going up, that is to say, experiencing a high. However, on the downward curve descending to the valley, it's that bar that keeps you there. Some may choose to not grab onto the bar, but their legs can't squeeze out of its grip when their bottoms are off their seat. It needs to be there though. Without it, there wouldn't be very many people on the roller coaster.
Ryan seems to think I have insomnia. It's either that or the worst jet lag I've ever experienced. I have a class in four hours and yet I still can't sleep.
Farquad.
No comments:
Post a Comment