Thursday, January 25, 2007

Techmology

So, techmology: Is it good, or is it whack?

I might just go on a rant here. Oh, and as a side note, 'rant' is kind of a weird word.

One of my largest pet peeves is when people try to use technology in a public setting when they quite obviously don't know how to use technology. This can branch out to quite a few groups, but the one particular group I will touch on today is Professors.

I started to write something very demoralizing to the profs, so I deleted it and I'll touch on some points that bug me.
1) To go back a slide on PowerPoint, press the <- button instead of right clicking, trying to find the previous slide button and accidentally pressing the forward slide button. One very quick '<-' can solve this. Thank you.
2) The projector does not need to be turned off and on every 10 minutes when you want to use the board. This will wear out the bulb. There's a handy dandy 'blackout button' on your projector remote that will enable you to quickly and easily work on the board.
3) 9 times out of 10 it's not the computers fault, but rather the users fault. For instance, the speakers might not work (even though the light may be on) because you have the sound muted on your computer. Troubleshooting people, troubleshooting.

I strongly believe that anyone who might use technology in their job should take a week long course to learn how to properly use a computer and all the fancy dancey benefits that go along with it. It will save them the embarrassment of students laughing at them as well and them being embarrassed.

Just a little bit of a vent. General navigation on common computer programs can go a long way especially if you use computer at your job.

No comments: