Ever since my first math textbook in grade three, I've been hooked on the things of science and logic. I still remember reading through that text book, learning how to do square roots long before we were ever taught in class. Actually, now that I come to think of it, I don't think we ever got that far in that grade. It's truly amazing how even at a young age we have our likes and dislikes, quite often very well formed and developed.
So, thinking back to my childhood and looking at where I'm going now, it all aligns like a glorious y = mx +b format. Regardless of how old I am (x) or what I'm taking in school (y), it seems that "m" and "b" remain constant, that is to say, that the choices I have made in the past and the ones I'm still making today seem to line up. Yes, a certain pride wells up in me with this fact, but at the same time that pride must be put into a saline solution so that all it's watery substance can, by means of osmosis, leak out, causing my pride to shrink. This hypertonic solution I would like to think of as the realization of God's faithfulness, an ongoing force that at times seems invisible, yet has a significant influence on how I go about my life.
Controversy time: Predestination.
Was I predestined to be at Redeemer studying sciences, to make the friends I have made and to act the way I do? Ephesians 1:4-6 states, "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves."
Now you might be saying, "Hey James, God predestined us for salvation, but he doesn't predestine the things we do or our careers." Alright, I hear you there, but I hope you still agree that the choices we make are quite often the gentle nudging of a caring father, as well as our own choice. Ah, the mysteries of free choice mixed with the disputed predestination.
Whatever the case, I pretty much just want to say that I'm a biology student and that I've been waist deep in the sciences ever since I was a kid. Just as a little tag-offer, look at these cool videos. Notice that one movie is just one cell, while the other is trillions. Simply fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment