Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Enzymes

Alrighty then...holy poop! We learned about enzymes in Bio 12 (Handy's engaged? Weird) and now we're pretty much recapping everything I learned in grade 11 and 12 in my Bio 122 class. But, we stumbled around enzymes again and I honestly can't see how anyone out there who is a biologist can not be a creationist. Lets recap.

Enzymes - complex proteins made up of amino acids (just the formation of these freaking thing will blow your head off, but I won't get into that) which is of a specific shape. The shapes of these enzymes are due to intermolecular bonding within the proteins (H-bonds, etc) and have a bonding site that is specific to a particular molecule.

What and Enzyme does - Pretty much it acts as a catalyst to make a reaction that would not usually occur on it's own. A catalyst pretty much speeds up a reaction, or in this case, provides a lower activation energy so a reaction can take place in the body.

There are tons of different enzymes, all specialized for a SPECIFIC reaction to take place.

I don't really want to get into the importance of these things in the citric acid cycle or in glycolosis, but the point I'm trying to make is that they are complex, and without them, we couldn't survive.

So, if you're not a creationist, are you telling me that these very sensitive (to temp. and pH) and specific proteins kinda just happened? That the enzyme that follows the reaction of the enzyme that follows the reaction of the enzyme before it "got lucky" (kinda like Adam, he's has the best of luck...wish I was him...he has such a nice civic...and such good taste in music) and due to evolution everything fell into place.

But that's only part of it. Anyways, all this goes on without you even knowing about it, and you survive all because these little complexes lower activation energies of reactions that we need to happen to survive.

"J" dawg signing out.

P.S. Chappy, name the kid James, or Coco. I mean, you know I had a big part on why he/she is coming into the world.

No comments: