Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Pooh and his Hunny

In the cinematic epic "Winnie the Pooh" (2011), the protagonist, Pooh, urgently searches for some honey based on the absolute truth that "a Pooh-bear takes care of his tummy/ by never forgetting to eat". This seemingly insignificant chorus rings true with me. The best way to solve simple problems is by using the simplest solution.

Example: James, whilst sorting and recycling lonely plastic plant containers, clumsily smashes his middle finger in the adjacent recycling machine. The simple problem of crimson seeping out of his work gloves is solved by a visit to the first aid kit.

Example the second: James, whilst cheering his son on as he pees around the toilet, now has a mess to clean up. Now, for those who do not care to interact with urine in such a forward way, might suggest that this scenario has no easy solution. I, however, have little precaution, and simply wiped it up. Problem solved.

If you haven't watched the Winnie the Pooh movie, I encourage you to. Its clever writing and innocent humor is quite enchanting. I even find myself singing the songs while my back spasms to the beat. The pleasure of the movie is in its innocence; a simple problem of needing to eat or finding a tail is wrapped up neatly in 60 minutes.

In R.C. Sproul's "Can I Know God's Will" (free!), Sproul brings forward a problem that has no easy answer to it: original sin. In the book, a chapter is devoted to 'why' Adam and Eve sinned, and how there is no easy answer to the problem. Sproul and many other theologians have humbly described motive for original sin as mystery.

However, I find it very encouraging that the answer of how to deal with sin is surprisingly simple (yet profoundly deep) in Christ. The central Gospel message of a sin-sick people in need of an adequate Saviour can be grasped by a four year old, but can occupy a theologian for a lifetime. Incredible.

And I find it fantastic that midst the chaos of life, of tough choices, difficult situations, pee on the floor, or a rumbling tummy, Christ is calling people to recognize that he can carry our burdens and forgive our sins.

No comments: